Enough about that. My challenge in creating learning activities was to 1) meet the learning objectives of the course, 2) tie together all the course assignments under the big pictures, 3) provide real-world application, and 4) convince students that info literacy is not just an immediate skill but a lifelong one. And I wanted to do all this in a five-week, one-credit course! I began to see the limitations of this one-credit model given my challenges. However, I was determined to make this course a survey of information literacy and hope that advanced courses in students' majors would help them develop more advanced skills.
With all this in mind, I began by developing a final project that covered all my bases and later, weekly assignments to support the final project. I decided that an annotated bibliography would be a good cumulative project based on several syllabi for similar courses. As you can see in Appendix A of my course outline, this bibliography challenged students to research an ethical topic in their field of study and make an informed decision. In doing so, I hope to inculcate the value of being information literate; one can make ethical life decisions. I hope that students will get the big picture of information literacy with this course. They may not remember how to do a wildcard search in a database, for example, but I hope they walk away with the 'big picture' of information literacy. I certainly hope they don't find these activities to be 'busy work'. As any first-time course designer, I'm anxious about the implemented course. I'm sure this course will have many iterations as I learn what works and doesn't work.